Sunday, February 4, 2018

Week 4 Story: Rama and Sita's Happy Ending

     Rama was finally able to rescue Sita with the help of Hanuman but the obstacles did not end there. Rama could not look at Sita the same way after all that time had passed while Sita was held in Ravana’s captive. He constantly imagined what was happening while she was away and he could not bring it in himself to take her back the way she was. Sita was outraged at the accusations against her faithfulness because she was devoted to her one and only true love, Rama. Sita stepped in fire because she would rather die than be separated from Rama for something that she didn’t even do. As soon as Sita stepped in the fire, she was saved by Agni, the fire god, who convinced Rama of Sita’s innocence. Rama admits that he knew all along that Sita was innocent. He was hurting while acting as if Sita had committed a wrong against him because he knew that she only loved him but he was afraid that people would spread terrible rumors about Sita if he didn’t prove her innocence so he had to play the part. 

     Rama was crowned as the king after Bharata had saved his place at the throne with the golden sandals. Rama was a fair and just king but also a loving husband to Sita. There was laughter and joy in the air as people enviously admired how perfect Rama and Sita were together. Parents told children stories of the great adventures Rama and Sita went through together during Rama’s exile and how far they have come to finally be able to achieve happiness. After some time, Sita gave birth to two beautiful twins named Lava and Kusha. They had Rama’s eyes and Sita’s hair. The twins grew up learning how to fight and helped defend the kingdom.   


Sita with her children: Ram

Author's  Note: Rumors are rampant about Sita's unfaithfulness to Rama due to her imprisonment at Ravana's. Rama decides to send Sita to exile where she stays with Valmiki and has two sons named Lava and Kusha. Rama still has guilt about killing Rama so he sends a horse for sacrifice but the horse is captured by the twins so Lavashmana leads an army to retrieve the horse but ends up getting killed by the twins. Rama then personally goes with his own army and meets his children for the first time but the twins do not know who their father is. I wanted to change story at this point because I felt so bad for Sita. It wasn't enough that Rama made Sita walk through fire to prove her loyalty to Rama but he has to exile her even after all of that? I changed the story by getting rid of the terrible rumors about Sita and instead replacing them with chit chat of how happy an envious they are that Rama and Sita, the power couple, are finally reunited. I especially want to take out the exile because if the exile never happened, Lakshmana would still be alive too!

Bibliography. "Ramayana" from Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie, web source

5 comments:

  1. Hello Rosa! The style of your blog is so cute! I read this story in the Ramayana and I loved it! The validation of Sita's love to Rama is something I can only hope for in the future. I like how you expanded on the love Rama and Sita had for each other in the end. It reiterates that they are absolutely perfect for each other! I also like how you included the information that the people needed to know that Sita was faithful to Rama. I wonder if during the time their family was developing if there were any problems that arose, like another kidnapping? It would have been interesting to retell the story in a different perspective, such as Sita's or Rama's, but either way, I love how it is! The image you chose emphasizes Sita's happy life after the horrible period in her life. Does she ever get nightmares about it? I look forward to reading more stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Rosa! I really appreciate your writing skills in articulating this story! One thing that really stood out to me was how specific you wrote about the rumors that were happening around the time that Sita was getting all dramatic. That background information really makes a lot of sense to the reader! I wonder if Agnis had any other intention for saving Sita other than for her being super righteous. Perhaps there is something going on with Agnis and her thoughts. I wonder if there was anything going on when Rama saw Sita go into the fire. I find that site very frightening and kind of spooky. What if there was a story about what was going on psychologically when Sita was burning in the fire? I think that would be really cool!

    Thank once for sharing your thoughts on the story! I think yours doing an awesome job and I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rosa,
    I love this love story. It is cool to see that you made the story a happy one instead of a sad one. I was not expecting it to end that way in the real story but you made it the way I wanted it to. I wonder if Rama just was trying to be a strong king or if he even cared about her? I can't wait to hear more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Rosa! I love your version of the story. It was hard to tell if Rama and Sita had a happy ending since he doubted her and made Sita jump into a fire to prove her purity. I prefer your version of the story over the originals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rosa, I don't like that Sita is exiled by Rama in the original either. It just seems so cruel and unnecessary. It doesn't seem right that after obeying all the rules of society Sita would be disgraced and exiled, and that she would raise their sons to worship Rama. I think it's more fitting that the pure, virtuous heroes of the story get a happy ending.

    ReplyDelete